Saturday, June 4, 2011

Alaska!

Well, here we are and I don't even know where to start.  After 13 days we arrived in Ketchikan on June 1 and today we are in Wrangell.  I have just finished doing 2 hours of laundry and BJ is doing some minor boat work.  After 16 days on the boat I am starting to adjust to these waters...they are so HUGE.  If this is called the Inside Passage then don't put me on the outside.   The channels are just so vast.  We have the smaller passages also which are beautiful and we are grateful for two GPS systems so we can both agree we are in the correct area.    Very important!!  The photo below could have a good fish tale but you all know we are not fisherman so today we found a couple of young ladies selling salmon off the dock so we purchased this 10 lb. beauty and BJ fileted it and I had enough room in our freezer for the wonderful meat and also all the scraps which we can use for crab bait.   We have been using cat food for bait and have had crab twice but I think the salmon scraps will work much better.   Today was only our second full day of rain, not bad for this area...actually when it rains it usually means the seas are calmer so I don't complain!  We try to head out early in the morning from wherever we are to our next destination as it's usually calmer...are you realizing I'm a bit obscessed with that word??...the afternoons usually bring on the winds and then we (I) like to be already anchored or tied up some where.   We will be in glacier country in a few more days and I'm not too sure how I will like the little bergs floating around us...I try not to think too far ahead.    Fisherman are around us everywhere in every manner of boat.  It seems common practice to take the smallest runabout and put the largest outboard possible on it.    But, as I said the channels are large and you can't wait all day to get across especially if your livelihood depends on it.  Internet connections are sketchy...like today, sometimes we can get connections at marinas but I am not able to update regularly.   


No comments:

Post a Comment