Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sitka

We arrived Sitka yesterday.  I wish I could post some photos but the internet connection is so poor that I am unable.  All throughout Alaska we have had very poor connections for internet and I have been surprised by this, especially when we are in a marina like now.  So it's disappointing not to be able to share some photos. I am glad I am keeping a journal the old fashioned way so I can keep track of where we are when we took photos.  We have had some amazing experiences especially after leaving Juneau.  We were able to get into Glacier Bay on short notice as it requires a reservation and they only allow 25 boats in at a time.   It keeps the anchorages very private.   We had a close encounter with a whale that came up from behind our boat when we were in the middle of a group of whales feeding.    We saw it coming and because we had turned off the engine we could not get out of the way and the next thing we knew he surfaced right off our stern, coming up and blowing through his blow hole and as our hearts stopped beating he went right under our boat as we waited for the crash.  BJ hollered, "hold on" which I do not recall but I stood there trying to take a picture..dumb, dumb.   Anyway, I am having enough adventure to last the rest of my life and will be quite content to sit in the rocking chair on a quiet porch for many of my remaining years as I relive in my mind all the things I have seen and done!!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures of all your adventures!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete