Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Huge Help

For all you campers out there, this is nothing new but several years ago another boating friend put us on to these "bunsen burners" as I call them.  What a helpful addition to the boat when we want to cook crab, soup, rice...well, just about anything that requires heat.   When we are at anchor we would have to start the generator for me to use the stove and this little burner is just the most versatile thing.  I can put it out on the aft deck to let the steam rise out there if I want and after boating season is over we even take it home to have in case the power goes out...which is known to happen all too frequently.


The second most helpful thing is having GPS softwear on our laptop.  BJ has always had a GPS and radar monitor at the helm but I have never been able to view it very well and so for this trip we got a back up installed on the computer and what a help it has been.  We both can be looking at the electronic charts and can agree or disagree about where we are.   It is incredibly reassuring for me not to have to wonder where we are or keep asking.  In waters that are all new to us it has been the best addition.  My laptop computer screen light went out about a month before we left on this journey.  I complained at the time for a computer only 3 years old but oh how grateful I am it didn't happen on this trip.  Yes, timing is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment